GRI Member Only Webinar
Achieving a green and resilient recovery was a main pillar of the Speech from the Throne on September 23, 2020. Through a series of grants, loans, investments, fiscal measures and other incentives, the government aims to create middle class jobs in significant part by kick-starting the green economy in Canada. Key commitments included:
- Legislating Canada's goal of net-zero carbon emissions by 2050
- Making Canada the most competitive jurisdiction for clean technology
- Retrofitting homes and buildings to make them energy efficient and resilient to climate change
- Producing electric vehicles and batteries, and making them more affordable for Canadians
- Significant investments in clean power to transition Canada off coal fired electricity
The financial sector will play a key role in making some of these goals a reality. Government stimulus will be designed to attract significant investment from private sector firms to bring these initiatives to scale, and may change the risk return profile of new and existing businesses or clients.
Join this discussion with green economy leaders, government and financial services on the emerging risks and opportunities for financial institutions as Canada and other major economies strive to ‘build back better'.