GOVERNANCE: THE BOARD’S ROLE IN ALIGNING VALUE AND VALUES
President and Chief Executive Officer, Global Risk Institute
Sonia Baxendale is a highly respected executive who has more than 20 years’ experience in senior leadership roles in the financial services industry. Ms. Baxendale serves on the Board of Directors for a number of Canadian and international corporate and not-for-profit organizations. As the President and CEO of GRI, Ms. Baxendale leads the premier risk management organization for the financial services industry globally.
In this role, Ms. Baxendale brings together leaders from industry, academia and government to focus on emerging risk management issues. The global pandemic has brought to the forefront a confluence of domestic and global concerns – geopolitical tensions, climate change, systemic racism, social and economic disparities. Under Ms. Baxendale’s leadership, GRI has stepped up to develop strategic research and education. She has brought together experts from across the country and the globe to focus on long-term, sustainable solutions for Canada’s economic recovery.
In addition to her role with GRI, Ms. Baxendale is a Director on the Board of Laurentian Bank, Foresters Financial, RSA Group PLC, and The Bank of N.T. Butterfield & Son Limited. She is Chair of the Board of SickKids Foundation and a member of the Board of Trustees for the Hospital for Sick Children.
Prior to joining GRI, Ms. Baxendale was President of CIBC Retail Markets where she led Retail and Wealth Management businesses. Ms. Baxendale played a key role in developing strategy and direction for CIBC and held various leadership roles including Senior Executive Vice-President, CIBC Wealth Management, Executive Vice-President, Asset Management, Card Products and Collections, and Executive Vice-President of Global Private Banking and Investment Management Services. Prior to CIBC, Ms. Baxendale held various positions with American Express Canada and Saatchi & Saatchi.
Ms. Baxendale is a graduate of the University of Toronto, where she was named University of Toronto, Victoria College Alumni of Distinction in 2017. She was named one of the “Top 100 Most Powerful Women in Canada” for three years in a row and then joined the ranks of the Top 100 Hall of Fame in 2010. In 2000, she was recognized as one of Canada’s Top 40 Under 40.
Jane E. Kinney – BMath, FCPA, FCA
Corporate Director and Retired Vice Chair, Deloitte
With over 30 years of experience in the financial services sector, Jane is a recognized leader in governance, risk management, regulatory compliance, and internal audit services. Jane is a recently retired Vice Chair of Deloitte Canada and a former member of the firm’s Leadership team. Prior to that role, Jane occupied various positions at Deloitte including that of Canadian Managing Partner, Quality & Risk and of Global Chief Risk Officer. She is a former member of Deloitte’s Board of Directors and Risk Committee.
Jane was most recently lead partner for Deloitte’s most significant Financial Institutions clients, and was responsible for overseeing a broad range of services including strategy, technology, risk (including cyber), finance, analytics, and digital transformation.
Jane has been an advocate for women throughout her career and was recognized as one of Canada’s Most Powerful Women in 2014. Jane was also recognized with a University of Waterloo Math Alumni Achievement award in 2013.
Memberships and Directorships
- Intact Financial Corporation, Chair of the Audit Committee & member of the Risk Committee
- Cenovus Energy Inc. member of the Audit Committee and Safety, Environment, Responsibility and Reserves Committee
- Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, Chair of the Audit & Finance Committee
- Nautilus Indemnity (Deloitte’s Global Captive Insurance Company), Current Chair Elect and former Chair of the Governance Committee and member of the Audit & Risk Committee
- Toronto Finance International (TFI), Former Chair of the Board and former Audit Committee Chair
- Women’s College Hospital Foundation, Former Chair of the Audit Committee
- Alzheimer’s Society of Toronto, Former Board Chair and current Chair of the Patron’s Council
- Institute of Chartered Accountants Ontario Governing Council (2010-2012), former member
Education and Professional Qualifications
- Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario
- Bachelor of Math, University of Waterloo